1. Weshould havebreakfast every day to keephealthy.
A.a B.an C. / D. the
2. Thereisumbrella behind thedoor.
A. a B. an C. the D. 不填
3. WhenJamesarrivedattherailwaystation,hetriedtolooka place to park his car.
A.up B. for C.after D.at
4. Frank is an independent boy. His parentsareproudhim.
A.on B. to C. in D.of
5. More and more people in Qingdao gotoworksubwaynow.
A.with B.on C. in D.by
6. In the picture,hesitsme, looking veryhappy.
A.beside B.among C. up D.through
7. Mother's Daycomesthe second Sunday ofMay.
A.in B. on C.at D.for
8. Sorry I'm late.Iwith a friend and I completely forgot thetime.
A.talk B. amtalking C. wastalking D. willtalk
9. --- It’s time to worknow.
--- OK. I’ll wake Carlup.Hefor an hour.
A. hasfallen asleep B. hasbeenasleep C.fellasleep D. falls asleep 10.---Jerry, have you ever been to the GreatWall?
---Yes.Ithere with my parents lastyear.
A.go B. went C.willgo D. have gone
11. If you are caught smoking in the kitchen,you_by yourboss.
A.will fire B.arefired C. willbefired D.fired
12. This kindofpen, and is also very cheap. I think you can buysome.
A.writeswell B.writesgood C. iswrittenwell D. is writtengood
13. --- I can’t find Jimmy. Where ishe?
---Hein the garden at the moment.
A.works B. willwork C.isworking D. worked
14. Gary is the best singer in my class. Nooneelsesowell.
A.sings B. sang C.willsing D. issinging
15. ---Have you ever been to South TowerPark?
---Yes.Ithere a few monthsago.
A.went B. havebeen C.have gone D.go
16. Our classroom is very clean and tidybecauseitevery day.
A.cleans B.cleaned C.wascleaned D. iscleaned
17. Tom,the umbrella with you. Look at the clouds, it's going torain!
A.taking B.takes C. take D.took
18. More and more foreign students begin to learn Chinese, and many ofthem
Chinese better and betternow.
A.arespoken B. spoke C.is speaking D. arespeaking
19. ---What do you think of the environment here, Mr.Wang?
---Wonderful!of thelandcovered with trees andgrass．
A. Twofifths; is B. Twofifth; is C. Twofifths;are D. Two fifth;are
20. The film OperationRedSeaa lot of praise since its first show monthsago.
A.wins B.win C.havewon D. haswon
21. Pleasethe rubbish into different litter bins according to thesigns.
A.puts B. put C. putting D. toput
22. This bookbe Lucy’s. Look! Her name is onit.
A.can B.may C.must D.might
23. ---Wow another gift! What's in thebox?
---I’m notsure. It be a pair of sportsshoes.
A.must B.may C.will D.need
24 Whywe close that chemicalfactory?
---Because it has caused lots of pollution. We need better environment.
A.must B.can C. may D.might
25. ---I saw John in the park thismorning..
---Itbe him. He has gone toHongKong.
A.can’t B. can C.mustn’t D.must
26 How is our government going to deal with the officebuilding?
A.turnedoff B. turnedon C. turnedout D. turnedinto
27. The latestmobilephonein China.
A.willmake B.hasmade C. is making D. ismade
28. The food is very delicious in that restaurant. We couldgoandit.
A.sell B.help C. produce D.try
29 Has your daughter come back fromAustralia?
---Yes.Shethere for threeyears
A.hasstayed B.stays C.stayed D. hadstayed
30. Terry,from your cell phone when your father is talking toyou.
A.look up B.lookaround C. look down D. lookout
31. I'm afraidIdidn'tyou. Could you repeat yourwords?
A.believe B. follow C.please D.satisfy
32. –What do you think of the fish soup?
A.looks B.smells C. tastes D.watches
33. Harryinvited mewith him when his parents were out oftown.
A.stay B.staved C.staying D. tostay
34. I look stupid with this haircut. All myclassmateswillme.
A.laughat B. agreewith C. dependon D. worryabout
35. Our parents won'tallowusin the riveralone.
A.swim B.toswim C.swimming D.swam
36. Wecansome information about this city on theInternet.
A.look up B. looklike C. lookafter D. look forwardto
37. Wouldyouminddown the music? It's toonoisy.
A.to turn B. turning C. turn D.turned
38. Peoplearesupposedhands when they meet for the first time in America.
A.shaking B. toshake C.shake D.shaken
39. Here is abanana,please We'll make a banana milkshake.
A. cutthemup B. cut up it C. cutit up D. cut upthem
40. Nowadays, most people prefer tocomputer games rather than books.
A.play；reading B.play；read C. playing; reading D. playing;read
41. People now in many big cities havetoearly to avoid the heavy traffic in the morning.
A.setout B.put out C. takeout D. giveout
42. Our city is cleanerthan itbe.
A. isused to B.usedto C.usesto D. isused
43. My twocousins decidea businesstogether.
A.tostart B.starting C.start D.started
Mount Lao is one of every year.
mountains in Qingdao. Many tourists like climbing it
A. famous B. the more famous C. most famous D. the most famous
45. As an engineer, you can't be careful. You should pay attention to every detail.
A. very B. too C. so D. quite
46. ---May I have a look at the magazine China Today?
A. Thank you B. It's a pity C. Here you are D. I'd like to
47. --- Do remember to watch out for cars while crossing the street.
A. Heard it B. Made it C. Forgot it D. Got it
48. Jack is happy. Ms. Wang, an excellent teacher, teaches math this term.
A. he B. him C. himself D. his
49. A smile costs , but gives much, so always keep smiling!
A. something B. anything C. nothing D. everything
50. --- Would you like more dumplings, Harry?
--- . I'm full
A. Yes, please B. No way C. No, thanks D. All right
51. ---Do you like rock music or light music?
--- . I like Beijing Opera.
A. Either B. None C. Both D. Neither
52. —I’m sorry I took your school uniform by mistake. But where is ?
—Don't worry. Let me help you find it.
A. he B. his C. mine D. yours
53. --- do you visit your grandparents, Timmy?
---Once a week.
A. How many B. How long C. How much D. How often
54. It is raining heavily, none of the students are late for school.
A. although B. but C. so D. because
55. ---Is this the new dictionary you got yesterday?
---Yes. Now it's very convenient for me to look up words.
A. that B. why C. what D. whose
56. Tony was drawing a picture I was doing my homework.
A. if B. because C. while D. until
57. --- fast China is developing!
--- Yes, we are so lucky to live in such a great country.
A. What B. What a C. How D. How a
58. --- fresh air it is now!
---Yes. go out for a walk.
A. How ;Let B. What a; Let’s C. What ; Let’s D. How; Let us
59. She is a teacher has much teaching experience.
A. whose B. who C. whom D. what
60. Jim can swim， .
A. neither can I B. so I can C. so can I D. neither I can
61. Work hard, you'll catch up with your classmates next time
A. and B. or C. but D. so
62. You are talented young adults are full of hope for the future.
A. which B. when C. who D. where
63. pencil is this, Tom’s or Henry’s?
A. What B When C. Who D. Whose
64. I like the city the people are really kind and friendly.
A. that B. which C. where D. who
65. --- times have you visited Gansu Science Museum?
A. How often B. How many C. How long D. How soon 66.Be careful with the knife.You may hurt .
A.himself B. ourselves C.myself D.yourself
67. Only yesterday find out that his purse was lost.
A. he was B. was he C. did he D. he did
68. — Harry Potter is an interesting novel_ I want to read it again.
— I agree with you.
A. so; that B. too; to C. such; that D. as; as
69. ---Do you know the man is talking with our Chinese teacher?
---Yes. He is my uncle, Mr. King.
A. which B. who C. whom D. whose
70. It's time to say goodbye to my school. I'll never forget the days we spent together.
A. that B. what C. who D. when
71. We couldn't find out bike it was, so we wrote a "Lost and found".
A. who B. whose C. whom D. which
72. My grandparents like stories have happy endings.
A. they B. who C. which D. /
73. --- What does your brother look like?
A. He is outgoing B. He is really tall and thin
C. He is a student D. He is in hospital
74. —Hi, Lucy. is your birthday?
—My birthday is on May 2nd.
A. What B. Why C. When D. Where
75. Anna her brother like listening to soft music.
A. Both; and B. Neither; nor C. Either; or D. Not only; but also
76. --- Thank you for showing me the way
A. No problem
B. It doesn't matter
C. It is my pleasure
D. It's kind of you
77. ---- are you going?
----The post office.
A. What B. Where C. Who D. Why
78. My family watching TV.
A. is B. are C. has been D. be
79. There three students over there.
A. be B. is C. are D. am
80. hard the work is!
A. What B. That C. How D. However 81 How did you come here?
A. In B. By C. On D. With
82. I was tired that I had to go to bed earlier than usual.
A. so much
83. Bill is
D. the tallest
84. Women not allowed to come in!
A. is B. are C. was D. has been
85. The mother likes tea the father likes coffee.
A. while B. though C. although D. unless
86. I don’t enjoy _ TV after supper.
A. watch B. to watch C. watching D. watched
87. Something went wrong, didn’t ?
A. it B. he C. she D. they
88. Please drink the water.
A. boiling B. boiled C. boilling D. is boiling
89. She is her homework now.
A. do B. does C. did D. doing
90. Smoking bad for your health.
A. is B. isn’t C. was D. were
91. Mr. Smith waited the bus at the bus station yesterday afternoon.
A. at B. in C. for D. to
92.A tall building there last year.
A. build B. builds C. was built D. built
93. he did is wrong.
A. That B. What C. Where D. As
94. your coat, it’s cold outside.
A. Put on B. Dress C. Wear D. Be in
95. Mary hurt her hand while she the tree.
A. climb B. to climb C. was climbing D. climbs
96. I didn’t answer the phone I didn’t hear it.
A. if B. unless C. although D. because
97. Don’t bother him, he is busy his homework.
A. with B. from C. for D. to
98. You leave until the bell rings.
A. not B. aren’t C. won’t D. will
99. It’s cloudy, take umbrella with you.
A. a B. an C. those D. these
100. The teacher told the boy to the computer before class.
A. put away B. turn on C. make up D. break out 101.Please let clean the house.
A. mine B. me C. I D. we
102. I’d spend the holiday at home.
A. prefer B. rather C. soon D. like
103. I like milk, and Tom likes milk, .
A. either B. neither C. too D. also
104. There is no doubt he is good at maths.
A. as B. who C. what D. that
105. Life is more enjoyable to people are open to new ideas.
A. whose B. whom C. who D. which
106. It was a year ago he became a doctor.
A. that B. where C. who D. what
107. What pity that you couldn’t be there to receive the prize!
A. an B. the C. a D. /
108. Jane was asked a lot of questions, but she didn’t answer
A. other B. none C. some D. any
109 Do you want tea or coffee?
---- I really don’t mind.
A. None B. Neither C. Either D. All
110. ---- are you going to watch the new movie?
----The cinema near the shopping center.
A. Where B. What C. Who D. Why
111. The mother likes tea the father likes coffee.
A. while B. as C. since D. unless
112. It’s too here. Can we go somewhere quieter?
A. quietly B. noisy C. different D. quiet
113. He invited me to a dance after the show Christmas Eve.
A. at B. on C. in D. by
114. I can’t leave. She told me that I stay here until she comes back.
A. can B. must C. will D. may
115 Why didn’t you come to our party last night?
---- I was ill.
A. Although B. So C. Because of D. Because
116. She has two sons work in the same company.
A. whose B. whom C. who D. whoever
117. Please remember the door when you leave.
A. lock B. locked C. to lock D. locking
118. It’s cold outside that I don’t want to go out.
A. such B. so C. much D. most
119. Granny often tells us water in our daily life.
A.save B. saving C.to save D.saves
120. The car was out of and hit a tree by the road.
A.danger B.breath C.control D.practice
Li Lei gets an e-mail
__1 Jack Wilson. Jack is a high school student in
Canada. He wants to _2 Chinese. Dear friend,
My name is Jack Wilson. I am from Toronto, 3 . I am 13 years old. I’m a schoolboy. I know China is a great 4 . I want to 5 friends in China and I want to learn Chinese.
There are nineteen students in 6 class. My classmates are from six countries. They are learning English. My parents are from France. They 7 French. I speak English and French. There are many Chinese 8 in Toronto. I want to learn Chinese, 9 I don’t have any Chinese textbooks. Could you 10 me?
Please write back soon. Thank you.
1. A. for B. to C. from D. of
2.A. teach B. learn C. speak D. know
3. A. Canada B. Japan C. Australia D. France
4. A. city B. country C. people D. school
5. A. make B. take C. give D. be
6. A. his B. your C. my D. their
7. A. speak B. tell C. say D. talk
8. A. there B. here C. peoples D. students
9. A. so B. and C. for D. but
10. A. give B. help C. write D. leave
参考答案：1—5 CBABA 6—10 CADDB
John worked in an office in a small town. One day his boss 1 him, “John, I want you to go to London, and to 2 Mr. Black. Here’s the address. His office is near the station.”
John went to London 3 train. He left the station and thought, “The office isn’t 4 the station. I’ll find it 5 ,”But after an hour he was still looking for it, so he stopped and asked an old woman. She said, “Just go along this street, turn left
6 the end, and it’s the 7 building on the right.” John went and found it.
8 days later, John went to the same city. 9 again he didn’t find the office, so he asked someone on the way. It was 10 old woman! She was very surprised and said, “Are you still looking for that place?”
1. A. said
2. A. visit
B. said to
C. talked to
3. A. on
4. A. next to
C. far from
D.in front of
5. A. easy
6. A. by
7. A. five
8. A. Much
B. A few
C. A little
D. A lot
9. A. Because
10. A. different
C. the different
D. the same
参考答案：1—5 BABCB 6—10 CCBCD
Mr. Brown lives in a city. He 1 a small store in the middle of the city, and he sells pictures in it. They’re cheap, 2 some of 3 are very nice.
One day, a woman came 4 the shop and looked at one picture for some
5 . It’s a picture 6 horses in a field. Then she asked, “ 7 is this picture?”
“Twenty dollars,” Mr. Brown answered. “It’s 8 expensive. Can I 9 you two dollars for it?” said the woman. “Two dollars? But you 10 buy the canvas（ 油 画布） with two dollars.” “Oh, but it isn’t clean now.” the woman said.
1. A. has B. have C. had D. is
2. A. so B . because C. and D. as
3. A. they B. them C. their D. it
4. A. on B. at C. into D. of
5. A. hours B. minutes C. weeks D. years
6. A. on B. in C. of D. to
7. A. How much B. How many C. How old D. How
8. A. no B. not C. too D. isn’t
9. A. give B. let C. have D. make
10. A. can B. can’t C. are D. aren’t
参考答案：1—5 ACBCB 6—10 CACAB
Knowing what to do when a fire 1 is important. If your house is 2 , what would you do? First, 3 afraid and don’t cry. Be brave and act fast. Second, you and all 4 in the house should 5 the house. Once you are out of the house,
6 out. Don’t go back in for any reason. Finally, when you 7 out of the house, call the fire department 8 . Don’t try to 9 out the fire yourself. That can be very 10 .
1. A. breaks out
B. breaks down
C. is broken out
D. break out
2. A. firing
C. on fire
3. A. be not
B. do not
C. don’t be
D. not be
4. A. other
B. the other
D. the others
5. A. enter
D. go to
6. A. stay
7. A. be
8. A. later
B. at once
9. A. get
10. A. danger
B. in danger
参考答案：1—5 ACCDB 6—10 ADBCC
Toothpaste (牙膏) does more than just keep our teeth bright and white. It can be used wisely in many other ways. Here are some useful tips that can save us time and money. If you follow them, you will have a fresh smell of using toothpaste!
Clean a Dirty Mirror
If you want to clean a dirty bathroom mirror, try to put a bit of toothpaste on the mirror and wipe it dry. The glass can be cleaned up beautifully. And doing this can also stop the mirror from fogging. Then you can still see yourself in the mirror after taking a shower.
Remove the Unpleasant Food Smell
Have some bad food smell, like the smell of onions or fish, on your hands? You can remove it by washing your hands with toothpaste. You’ll be fresh-smelling in no time.
Make Your Sports Shoes Whiter
This time, clean your sports shoes by yourself, not by your mother. Wipe some toothpaste around your shoes and then clean it with a wet cloth. See? Your shoes are white as new!
1. What does the passage mainly tell us about?
A. How to buy the toothpaste. B. How to choose the toothpaste.
C. How to use toothpaste wisely. D. How to sell the toothpaste.
2. How many ways can you save your time and money by using toothpaste?
A. One. B. Two. C. Three. D. Four.
3. If there is some smell of fish on your hands, what can you do?
A. Wash your hands with soap. B. Wash your hands with toothpaste.
C. Eat some onions. D. Brush your teeth with toothpaste.
4. The passage doesn’t tell us that .
A. toothpaste can clean a dirty mirror
B. toothpaste can remove the food smell
C. toothpaste can make your ring become new again
D. toothpaste can remove fish smell
5. Where can we probably find the passage?
A. In a science magazine. B. In an amusement magazine.
C. In a history book. D. In a math book.
11. In the Friendship Restaurant you can eat food
A. Chinese B. Japanese C. English D. French
12. Sarah wants to do some volunteer work. She can call to get some ideas. A. 846-3809 B. 312-9997 C. 822-3331 D. 822-5566
13. The Red Bird Club is closed on .
A. Tuesday B. Monday C. Saturday D. Thursday
14. According to the ad(广告), you can see in the Underground World.
A. volunteers B. excellent dancers C. sea animals D. waiters and waitresses
15. If you want to practise your English with native speakers, you can join .
A. the Red Bird Club B. the Volunteer Project
C. the Dream Corner D. the Underground World
A poor farmer had a friend who was famous for the wonderful apples he grew.
One day, his friend gave the farmer a young apple tree and told him to take it home and plant it. The farmer was pleased with the gift, but when he got home, he did not know where to plant it.
He was afraid that if he planted the tree near the road, strangers would steal the fruit. If he planted the tree in one of his fields, his neighbors would come at night and steal some of the apples. If he planted the tree near his house, his children would take the fruit.
Finally he planted the tree in his woods（树林）where no one could see it. But without sunlight and good soil, the tree soon died.
Later the friend asked the farmer why he had planted the tree in such a poor place. “What’s the difference?” the farmer said angrily. “If I had planted the tree near the road, strangers would have stolen the fruit. If I had planted the tree in one of my fields, my neighbors would have come at night and stolen some of the apples. If I had planted it near my house, my own children would have taken the fruit.”
“ Yes,” said the friend, “but at least someone could have enjoyed the fruit. Now you not only have robbed（抢夺）everyone of the fruit, but also you have destroyed
（摧毁）a good apple tree!”
16. What did the farmer’s friend give him one day?
A. An apple. B. Some apples.
C. Some young trees. D. A young tree.
17. Why didn’t the farmer want to plant the tree in his field?
A. He thought strangers would steal the fruit.
B. He thought the tree would die.
C. He thought his children would take the fruit.
D. He thought his neighbors would steal the fruit.
18. Where did the farmer plant the young tree?
A. Near the road. B. In his field.
C. In his woods. D. Near the house.
19. Why did the young tree die in the end?
A. Strangers pulled out the tree. B. His neighbors cut down the tree.
C. His children broke the tree. D. There was less sunlight and poor soil.
20. What does the story tell us?
A. We should care about others’ feelings.
B. We should learn to share beautiful things.
C. The young tree can provide apples for us when it grows up.
D. The young tree can grow up one day.
What do students usually do on weekends? Do you want to know?
Here is a survey（调查）. Mary usually washes her clothes on Saturday morning. She does her homework in the afternoon. On Sunday morning， she goes to the store with her mother. On Sunday afternoon, she plays tennis with her brother David. Frank and Rick often play soccer on Saturday morning. They play computer games for one hour on Saturday afternoon. They do their homework on Sunday morning. They learn to swim in a club on Sunday afternoon.
Who watches TV on Sunday afternoon? Mona and Selina do. They don’t like sports. Mona washes her clothes on Saturday morning. Selina does homework on Sunday evening.
36. What does Mary do on Saturday morning?
A. Goes to the store. B. Washes her clothes.
C. Does her homework. D. Plays computer games.
37. When do Frank and Rick play computer games?
A. On Sunday morning. B. On Saturday afternoon.
C. On Sunday afternoon. D. On Saturday morning.
38. Who don’t like sports?
A. Mary and Mona. B. Frank and Rick.
C. Mona and Selina. D. Selina and Frank.
39. Selina on Sunday evening.
A. watches TV
B. washes her clothes
C. learns to swim
D. does her homework
40. What’s the best title of this passage?
A. How Is Students’ Weekends.
B. Students’ Weekday Survey
C. How to Make a Survey
D. Let’s Play on Weekends
I often dream of being a teacher. I dream of standing on the platform in the classroom and give lessons to lovely boys and girls. I teach them, play with them, and watch them growing up. I am always young when I am staying with them. I know it is not easy to be a teacher. You have to learn in order to teach. Without enough knowledge you can never teach well.
What’s more, you have to be friends with your students and take good care of them. In this way you can be a good teacher and win respect from them. Though I am a student now, I will work hard to make my dream come true.
41. What is the author’s(作者的) dream?
A. being a teacher B. being a doctor
C. being a singer D. being a dancer 42.What does he dream of everyday when he has the dream?
A. He sings and dances with the students in the classroom
B. He gives the students a test
C. He goes over too much homework
D. He stands on the platform and gives lessons to the students 43.Which is not true according to the text?
A. He is always young when he is staying with the students
B. It is easy to be a teacher.
C. One has to learn in order to teach.
D. Without enough knowledge one can never teach well. 44.How to be a good teacher?
A. to be friends with the students and take good care of them
B. to be strict with the students
C. to be kind to the students but needn’t have enough knowledge
D. to give the students too much homework
45. As a student what should I do to realize my dream?
A. I should often make friends with students at school.
B. I will work hard to make my dream come true.
C. I should learn to sing and dance.
D. I should learn a foreign language well.
Today almost everybody is using a cell phone. Now people are able to carry their phones wherever they go. They are making phone calls, regardless of the time, place and situation. It is true that technology is making our lives easier and more practical. For example, today parents like their children to carry cell phones so that they can reach them at any time.
From my point of view, the cell phone is necessary for emergency(紧急情况)
situations and for business. It’s also practical to avoid stress. For example, if you are in a traffic jam and know you will arrive late to work, you can call your boss and inform him of the situation, overcoming this unexpected problem.
The widespread use of this device is amazing. It has become an important part of our daily lives. Whenever people forget their phones at home, they feel uncomfortable. Another advantage of having a cell phone is that you can connect to the Internet and check your e-mail. In addition, you can access(获得) information such as news, movies and theater schedules. Life is now fast and busy, and this high-tech communication device has become a must. We need cell phones to keep up with the fast pace of life and the new demands of life in our ever changing world.
46. Cell phones can make our life .
A. easier B. busy C. fast D. secret
47. The cell phones are often used by .
A. a few people B. most people
C. young people only D. children in school only
48. If people leave their phones at home, they will .
A. feel uncomfortable B. be connected to the Internet
C. have some unexpected problems D. check their e-mail
49. Using cell phones can .
A. make a distant relationship between parents and their children
B. make people feel less stressed from their work
C. get some information as quickly as possible
D. make us avoid car accidents
50. Which of the following statements is TRUE?
A. Cell phones are not suitable for children to use.
B. Using cell phones very often may cause stress.
C. Your boss likes to be informed by your cell phone.
D. People can get in touch with each other at any time with cell phones.
Christmas Day is the most important festival in most western countries. As Christmas draws near, the big shops stay open long after dark. Everyone is buying presents for friends and relatives. The home is decorated with leaves of holly (冬青) and Christmas trees. People always receive greeting cards from friends.
On Christmas Eve, it is said, Father Christmas brings presents but only to good children. But it is always the parents who leave the presents near the children’s bed after they fall asleep.
On Christmas day, children are very happy to open their gifts. After breakfast, many people go to church; children always play with their new toys and the mother will prepare the Christmas dinner, which includes turkey, salads, bread, vegetables and desserts such as pies, puddings and ice-cream.
Christmas is a time of warmth and happiness, love and laughter, so almost everyone usually count the weeks, then the days, to Christmas.
51. Christmas is the most important festival of the following countries EXCEPT .
A. Great Britain B. The USA C. China D. Canada
52. Before Christmas Day people usually .
A. decorate their homes
B. buy presents for their relatives and friends
C. send greeting cards
D. do all the above
53. On Christmas Eve, who REALLY gives children gifts?
A. Father Christmas. B. Their parents.
C. Their teachers. D. Their friends.
54. On Christmas day, many people will .
A. stay at home to prepare for the Christmas dinner
B. bring their children to go shopping
C. go to church
D. stay at home to play with their children
55. According to the passage, why do people expect Christmas so much?
A. Because Christmas is a time of warmth and happiness, love and laughter.
B. Because they will have delicious food.
C. Because they will play with their friends.
D. Because they will make a big snowman.
Most people now keep animals as pets. Numerous people have cats and dogs in their houses. Other people like fish, caged birds and even snakes, monkeys or lions. Millions of dollars are spent every year on pet food, equipment, training and medical treatment.
Of course, there are some people who do not look after their pets properly or are even cruel to them. For this reason a royal society was created in 1842 in Britain to prevent cruel treatment of animals.
In contrast to the love of pets is the fact that blood sports still exist in most countries. People go hunting foxes, elephants, and other animals, or go fishing, not because they need the meat to eat, but just for pleasure. In some countries, blood sports like bull fighting and cock fighting are common and hunting rare animals for money has brought about an even more serious problem in the protection of the ecosystem(生态系统).
It is strange that people love certain animals, but enjoy killing others, in cruel ways, too.
56. The royal society is an organization which .
A. helps the poor people
B. looks after pets for people
C. prevents people from killing wild animals
D. prevents cruel treatment of animals
57. Which of the following is NOT a blood sport?
A. bull fighting B. cock fighting C. fox hunting D. horse racing
58. What do you think is the writer’s attitude towards blood sports?
A. He thinks they are very cruel. B. He feels they should be encouraged.
C. He is not sure about them. D. He thinks they are exciting.
59. Which of the following seems to affect the earth’s ecosystem most seriously?
A. Hunting animals for pleasure. B. Keeping pets at home.
C. Illegal killing of rare animals. D. Being cruel to animals.
60. Which of the following statement is WRONG according to the article?
A. People should keep animals as pets at home.
B. Rare animals should not be killed for profits.
C. Animals should be well treated and protected.
D. Blood sports should be forbidden.